Public Officials & Employment Claims (POL/EPL)
This coverage is provided by QBE Speciality Insurance Company, not your local JIF. Specifically:
- Public Officials | Claims arising out of an alleged wrongful act of a public official. Many of these claims arise out of issues involving planning and zoning boards, ordinances, and violation of civil rights.
- Employment Practices | Claims arising out of an alleged wrongful act in connection with dismissal, work place harassment, failure to promote, etc.
- Immediately phone your JIF’s designated liability claims representative who will pass the claim onto the QBE claims administrator as appropriate.
- POL/EPL claims are subject to deductible and copayments. The policy also excludes coverage for such items as punitive damages, intentional violations of law, as well as claims for lost wages and benefits. Consult your coverage document.
- QBE will assign only attorneys from its approved list to defend covered claims. You are free to retain at your own expense another attorney to defend the uncovered portion of a claim.
- Because these claims are often sensitive, please feel free to contact the JIF Executive Director or the JIF Fund Attorney to discuss special concerns.